Re: mysql Compare with postgres? (Re: Advice needed on large database project)

From: Paul D. Smith <psmith_at_baynetworks.com>
Date: 1997/04/30

%% Thomas Kern <kern_at_c-lab.de> writes:

  tk> There is also mySQL (http://www.tcx.se) which was derived from mSQL.

This is not really correct. The database engine of MySQL was developed a long time ago, before mSQL appeared, and is completely different. MySQL is in no way derived from the mSQL source.

However, some of the interfaces such as the perl and C API, and the interactive client program mysql, were purposefully created to resemble mSQL (for ease-of-porting, if nothing else). But that's all the connection they have.

  tk> I also have the impression, that [postgres] is the system with the   tk> most ongoing development.

I don't know about that; MySQL has a new beta version out almost weekly, and the 3.20 release is coming up quite shortly: the MySQL developers seem chomping at the bit to start 3.21 with some major new features.

Bugs in the beta have been found within hours given appropriate test cases, and the developers usually post a patch right to the mailing list, if you're into that kind of thing, rather than making you wait until the next release.

MySQL also uses threads, while Postgres uses a new process for each client access (last time I looked). Which one is better is somewhat a religious issue, but I prefer threads myself.

But you're right, Postgres has the most featurful SQL support. If you really need full-fledged SQL you should start there.

By all means, check all three out! They're all freely available for download to try out... although they have different licensing for actual use.

Paul D. Smith <psmith_at_baynetworks.com> Network Management Development "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.