Re: Replication : database triggers vs log sniffing

From: Jim Kennedy <Jim_kennedy_at_medicalogic.com>
Date: 1997/04/30

Michael is correct, but I suspect that Voodoo is asking about is that some RDBMS's to do replication actually go through the redo logs to figure out what changed. That is they have to read the entire file even if only a small amount of data is replicated. How that could be an advantage over creating a log (as Micheal points out below) specifically for what you are replicating is a mystery to me!

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 15:20:16 -0700, Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net> wrote:

>voodoo wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there anyone out there who knows why database tiggers used in
>> oracle's replication are BETTER than log sniffing used in other
>> databases? is log sniffing faster ?? unfortunately i have no idea what
>> database uses log sniffing . I need this information in order to
>> convince a hopefully future user of oracle.
>> It is Better ?!! Isn't it.
>> any information would be very helpfull - Thanks.
>
>They are the same thing. The Oracle Advanced Replication Option will
>setup triggers and packages which will generate replication logs. Those
>logs will be used by the replication jobs to replicate the data.
>
>It is a normal and sensible way to implement Replication.
>Also the performance, in my experience, is reasonably good.

Jim Kennedy X7055 Received on Wed Apr 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT