Re: Auto advance of tape during backup

From: Neil Greene <ngreene_at_laoc.SHL.com>
Date: 1997/04/29

In article <335e2e16.86558023_at_news.legato.com>, dking_at_legato.com says...
> On Fri, 31 Jan 1997 20:59:26 -0600, Lou Avrami <L.Avrami_at_dialogic.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> > I'm in the midst of writing a hot backup script for our Oracle
> >databases, and I've run into a roadblock that I'm hoping that someone
> >might be able to offer some help with.
 <stuff deleted>

> >Lou Avrami ( avramil_at_dialogic.com )
> >Dialogic Corporation
>
> How important is your data? I know I work for Legato, so I'm biased
> but I can't believe how many people use tar, etc... for backups.
> What do you do if you want 1 file back? A 3rd party product
> such as Networker/Solstice backup will automatically manage
> your juke box for you. It will put the next tape in when this one
> is full. There are also database solutions.
>
> I'm not a salesperson, I'm a sysadmin but Networker has taken
> all my backup headaches away.
>
> Darren King, Legato Systems

I have to side with Darren on this one. DBA's now have tools to help them with backup AND RECOVERY. At one time, years ago, I wrote my own backup tools. But, when you look at the long term solution it is not nearly as good as being a supported tool that is integrated into your tape management system and assist you with recovery as well.

I use SQL*BackTrack which talks to Networker and everything is automated. Patrol also monitors the archive log file systems and runs automated recovery jobs just to manage the archive log file systems. And with todays tape devices, robotics and jukeboxes, there is no need to sit there and worry about tape management.

DBAs....get a tool, let go of the job security and stop writing scripts that fail when you leave or the version changes. -- neil

--
Neil Greene			Senior System Engineer / Oracle DBA
MCI Systemhouse, Inc. 		<mailto:ngreene_at_laoc.SHL.com>