Re: RAID 5 environment

From: Tim Witort <trw__at__medicalert.org>
Date: 1997/04/28

Ghee Ong wrote:

> A machine had been purchased with 2 RAID-5 disks. I would like to hear
> your experience in configuring the database using RAID-5 disks. In
> particular, how you allocate the oneline redo and archive logs, and
> any performance issues. Do you still logically mirror the online
> redo-logs ?
>
> Please email me your comments if possible.

Even if you are mirroring your disks, you should still have at least two members in each of your log groups and those members should be on different disks. Sure, the mirroring will effectively double your already redundant log files, but unless your log files are VERY large (which they usually aren't) your not wasting much disk space.

As far as archive logs go... if recoverability is very important to you, have the archive logs go both to a disk and streamed to tape. It's always a good idea to have your archive logs on media outside the box that's running your RDBMS as well as on the box.