Re: Is anyone out there running Oracle 7.3 on OpenVMS?

From: Ian Mackay <ian.mackay_at_nzdairy.co.nz>
Date: 1997/04/28

We have a machine running Vms 7.0 and Oracle V7.3.2.2. However it is just a test machine with only 2 databases on it.

One of them is our CASE database and the other has only 2 users, myself and one of our Oracle gurus.

We are planning to install 7.3.2.3 this week so that I can upgrade the machine to 7.1 of VMS. We are not rushing into 7.3 other than due to pressure from developers that want/need to use some of the new PL/SQL features. We also have been told that 7.1 will be desupported in October which is a little worrying.

I have been in contact with Pol Vandenbril (pol.Vandenbril_at_brtn.be) who has been through this already and he told us of a few things that went wrong.

One I remember is that the C RTL patch that we applied to Vms 6.2 causes a error in installing VMS 7.1. The way round this is under VMS 6.2 $librery/delete=(*c$sys_errlist,c$*) sys$library:starlet.olb and then perform the upgrade.

We have looked at the update cd to go to 7.3.2.3 and have found some of the scripts missing. This is the subject of a support call at present. We need to upgeade to 7.3.2.3 to allow us to upgrade to 7.1 of VMS as 7.3.2.2 is not supported under 7.1.

I am also finding it a real pain that the numbers of the operating system and the Oracle product are so close! It causes me to have to think very carefully when I speak to people so that I don't get them mixed up. Perhaps they should change OpenVms 7.1 to OpenVms97.

Ian Mackay
email: Ian.Mackay_at_nzdairy.co.nz Received on Mon Apr 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT