Re: ops$root ...

From: Heggelund <d92hegge_at_ix_prod.hfk.mil.no>
Date: 1997/04/28

twod_at_not.valid wrote:
: Interesting one today.

: Logged in as root onto Solaris 2.5.1, fired up sqlplus and connected as
: system.

: SQL> create user ops$root identified externally;
: User created.
: SQL> connect /
: ERROR: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
: Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
: [**IAP - I was expecting no create session privilege **]
: SQL> connect system/<pass>
: Connected.
: SQL> drop user ops$root;
: User dropped.
: SQL> create user root identified by foo;
: User created.
: SQL> connect root/foo
: ERROR: ORA-01045: user ROOT lacks CREATE SESSION privilege; logon denied
: Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.

: The question is why no ops$ account for root ?

: Is this limited just to root, uid 0, gid 0 ?

: Oracle WWS couldn't come up with anything other than to prevent shadow
: processes being run as root.

: IAP

: --
: In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
: My correct email address is twod_at_value.net

--
Hi,

if you configure SQL*Net and set the TWO_TASK environment variable to the
name specified in tnsnames.ora, then "sqlplus /" as root works connecting you
as OPS$ROOT. I have tested this on Oracle7.3.2.3 using SQL*Net 2.3 on a
Siemens Nixdorf Unix server.

Rgds
Steinar Heggelund

I'm employed in the Norwegian consulting company Opus One AS.
I have 7 years experience with Oracle products, mainly the database.
We are a small company which offers consulting services in design,
implementation and tuning of databases and applications based on Oracle.

My postings represent my opinions and they may be wrong.