Re: ./orainst Segmentation Fault

From: Marc <marcm_at_computek.net>
Date: 1997/04/28

Roberto Kohler wrote:

> I'm trying to install oracle 7.3.2.1 on SUN Solaris 2.5.
>
> I get a "Segmentation Fault" when I run "./orainst", "./orainst /c", or
> "./orainst /m".
>
> Please let me know if you've run into this problem before.
>
> This is a description of how I'm getting this error:
>
> I'm logged in as oracle and my current directory is
> /cdrom/oracle/orainst when I invoke the command.
>
> The oracle .profile contains:
> ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle
> ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/7.3.2
> ORACLE_SID=ebu
> export ORACLE_BASE ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_SID
>
> PATH=.:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/opt/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/GNU/bin/make
>
> I have the following environment variables set:
> export ORACLE_TERM=hp
> export DISPLAY=www.xx.yyy.zzz:0.0
> export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/cdrom/oracle/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> The following required packages are installed:
> $ pkginfo -i SUNWbtool SUNWtoo SUNWsprot SUNWarc SUNWlibm SUNWlibms
> system SUNWarc Archive Libraries
> system SUNWbtool CCS tools bundled with SunOS
> system SUNWlibm SPARCompilers Bundled libm
> system SUNWlibms SPARCompilers Bundled shared libm
> system SUNWsprot SPARCompilers Bundled tools
> system SUNWtoo Programming Tools
>
> $ ls -ld $ORACLE_HOME
> drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 512 Apr 15 08:20
> /opt/oracle/product/7.3.2
> $ ls -ld $ORACLE_BASE
> drwxr-xr-x 3 oracle dba 512 Apr 15 08:41 /opt/oracle
>
> Have you ever seen this before? Do you know how to get around it?
>
> Thanks.

First, make sure you have the patches to be at Solaris 2.51 there are real problems with 2.5 and ORACLE.

Second, it's been a while since I installed this on SUN but I had exactly the same problems on Solaris 2.4. I think I finally set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to search the /usr/openwin/lib and $ORACLE_HOME/lib paths - which will be the CDROM. I had better luck running the motif version than the character version. Sorry I don't remember all the detail s but it has to do with the dynamic libraries not being present if I remember correctly.

Check out or utilities for ORACLE on UNIX at:

        http://dbghome.computek.net

and version 2.0 which runs from any http server :)

Hope this helps,
Marc

--