Re: www.microsoft.com sure needs a lot of silicon

From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal_at_pobox.com>
Date: 1997/04/26

Paul David Fox <pfoxSPAMOFF_at_lehman.com> wrote:

>The Unix people have had more APIs than a child can eat sugar-candy.
>Alas, all of these APIs are not sexy enough.

>Look at the MS APIs: multi-media, 3d/2d/sound, OLE, etc, etc.
>Unix is still figuring out what the size of an 'int' is and
>how large a filesystem is, whilst MS is putting games and graphics on
>the desktop.

  1. So how many APIs do you need on one system? Microsoft seems to think you need all of them at once.
  2. Unix still figuring out how big an 'int' is? Well, ok. OTOH NT on the Alpha is 32-bit just like the PC. Who in their right mind would put a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine? Nobody ever defined the size of an int. long >= int >= short >= char, and that's how it goes.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/