Re: Oracle Gateway to MSSQL

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/26

In article <patrick.gaumond-2504971422260001_at_stravinski.fsa.ulaval.ca>, GaumondP <patrick.gaumond_at_fsa.ulaval.ca> writes
>Is there any gateway available to "talk" to Oracle from MS SQL server ? I
>need to attach some Oracle table to my SQL 6.5 server.
>

>In other words, I need to get information during the night from the Oracle
>server, put them in some local tables to have the ability to play locally
>on that "oracle" data. Once on my MSSQL server I will have the "oracle
>data" and some specific table with information not availble originally on
>the other server.
>
>Is there a gateway ?

Yes. Oracle have one of their transparent gateways for MS SQL Server. I don't know if MS have anything.

>What's the best solution ?
>
>Will I need another costly software ?

Probably. I don't know what the MS SQL Server Gateway costs, but the Sybase Gateway cost us about 14,000 GBP and we get a substantial discount.

There is an evaluation version of the MS SQL SErver gateway at the Oracle web page.

<< Stop Press! I've just had a look to check the URL. The gateway software is under "Free Software" not "Trial Products" so it is probably free, although support may be a different issue.>>

http:/www.oracle.com

--
Jim Smith