Re: www.microsoft.com sure needs a lot of silicon

From: Tracy R. Reed <treed_at_rohan.sdsu.edu>
Date: 1997/04/25

Srinivas Thimmiah (tsreddy_at_netcom.com) wrote:
: You can burn me at the stake for heresy, but perhaps the server field
: is now ready to standardize on ONE version of OS (just like the PC
: industry standardized on MS/DOS) for all the advantages of economies

The PC industry never standardized on MS-DOS willingly. MS forced it on the industry. We literally had no choice. Novell and several other companies tried to introduce their own DOS's, and MS crippled their software to recognize those other DOS's and their software refused to work under it. MS also sued Novell and perhaps someone else over the DOS issue. The PC industry has also standardized on Windows, for very much the same reasons.

: of scale and the only company which is delivering a solution (however
: bad it might be) is Microslop.

Because they are the only ones capable of delivering a solution. Anyone else is run into the ground through hostile business practices. Are you really saying that *no* other company in the world is capable of coming up with an OS which is better than Windows? We all know that's gotta be bogus.

Tracy Reed
http://ultraviolet.org
http://www.linux.org - Escape the Gates of Hell Received on Fri Apr 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT