Re: Backing up HP-Unix Oracle database to Mainframe via ADSM

From: Michael Santoianni <msanto_at_duke.edu>
Date: 1997/04/25

We've just implemented a backup procedure for Oracle on Sun using ADSM to the mainframe. We've run into 3 issues that you need to watch out for:

1.(Our) ADSM backup management is handled via file versioning not date expiration. What I mean is that our ADSM Management Class is set to keep 10 versions of a given file in ADSM (not necesarily 10 days of backups). If we automate 1 backup per night and then run 1 manual backup each day, we will only have 5 days of backups. This issue can be resolved by a more sophisticated backup process if need be.

2. We (hot) backup our datafiles, control files, init files, etc to a seperate disk first, then let the Operating System ADSM backup pick up the copies. This alleviates issues of integrating the ADSM commands into our Oracle backup script and thus relying on the network/ADSM server to be available to do a backup. Obviously this could be an issue for larger databases.

3. Since we have a cron job that copies new archive files to a seperate platform every 10 minutes we don't include archive logs in the ADSM backups. Since ADSM works by file versions and each log file is uniquely named, the log files would never be purged from ADSM. This may be desirable for some systems, it's not for us though. Of course we do realize the ADSM backups are useless without the archive logs, so we go the extra mile to make sure they are safe.

Good luck
Mike S

"Dick Lenz" <db-middleware_at_wisconsingas.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have experience backing up Oracle databases to the mainframe?
>We are considering doing this using ADSM.

Michael Santoianni
Database Administrator
Duke University
msanto_at_duke.edu Received on Fri Apr 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT