Re: understanding rollback segments

From: Keystroke <keystrk_at_feist.com>
Date: 1997/04/25

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:09:08 -0700, Kelly Young <young_at_maricopa.edu> wrote:

>I've only had one cup of coffee this morning. Normally I don't like
>to think about rollback segments until I've had my second cup; but here
>goes anyway. Your rollback tablespace is probably not big enough.
>When you do a commit, Oracle assigns you another rollback segment for
>your next transaction. So you are continually going from one rollback
>segment to another. And as you do this, each rollback segment is
>using a certain amount of storage in the rollback tablespace. The
>total space used by all your rollback segements is more space than you
>have allocated to your tablespace. As I said before, I'm not
>responsible for anything I say until after the 2nd cup of coffee.

I have noticed this problem also. Why does Oracle do this? Why cant the rolback segment be re-used after the commit? I follow your explanation, but it assumes that no rollback segment can be re-used by the same 'program'. Why doesn't Oracle use the first rollback segment, then switch you over to the second, then back to the first one when you commit on the second. In theory you should only need two rollback segments to accomplish this task, with the DBMS switching back and forth between them. Received on Fri Apr 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT