Re: www.microsoft.com sure needs a lot of silicon

From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal_at_pobox.com>
Date: 1997/04/24

Paul David Fox <pfoxSPAMOFF_at_lehman.com> wrote:

>Steve Cole wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Paul David Fox wrote:
>>
>> > is too heavyweight. (Do the Unix community have a decent alternative
>> > to perl yet?, hint hint!).
>>
>> Yes. Python, Pike, TCL/TK, at least one other.

>I take it that you are joking, right? Hahahaha.

>I have nothing against Python, I dont know Pike, and I have
>nothing against TCL.

>But do you seriously think that a Unix box forking
>off processes on every HTTP request is going to compete with
>the DLL-deranged NT machines?

This is why mod_perl was invented. Also, mod_perl exposes the Apache API to the perl scripter.

Anyway, there is also PHP/FI for scripting inside the server. As well as just going ahead and using the Apache C API.

>I wish Solaris 2.6 luck in its battle against NT 5.x, because that
>is the only serious Unix operating system left. (Linux probably
>comes second).

Huh?

Where are you from?

Do you actually believe that Solaris and Linux are it? Why?

--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/