Row Chaining

From: Kristian Cibulskis <kristian_at_javanet.com>
Date: 1997/04/24

I'm currently working on an order entry system using Oracle 7.3 as the back end. We have a pretty serious problem involving row chaining. We have a table called order_line_item. The average size of a row in this table when it is inserted is ~80bytes. However, when the line item reaches it's final state it has grown to ~160 bytes on average. It then stays in the system at that size.

If I set my PCTFREE high enough to prevent chaining, it seems that I will waste a lot of space due to these records that are all ready in their final state. I tried preallocating space by setting one of the VARCHAR2s in the table to be 100 spaces at insert time and then NULL it out at the first update, but it did not seem to fix the problem. Any suggestion would help greatly. Thanks in advance...

-kristian Received on Thu Apr 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT