Re: ops$root ...

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_logica.com>
Date: 1997/04/23

I seem to recall (from the Oracle 7.0.16 Unix documentation) that you cannot do
ops$root. It is a special case that the I&A code in the database checks for!

Also, there are some differences in the authentication procedure if the prefix is anything other than ops$. ops$ is slightly more permissive, so as not to break applications written for oracle v6.

Check the platform release notes, to see if they still document this.

If you need to have an automated login for administrative work, you can su from the root account (ops$ takes effective UID, not real/Login UID).

enabling the OS Roles feature (map unix groups to db roles) may also allow you to achivve what you want without ops$root.

Alternatively (and I don't recommend this unless you have no alternative, since it is all too easy to create a security hole!) or create a special oracle account (say, autoadmin) with no password, and give it a minimal privilege set: grant the connect role, and then carefully grant privileges until you can do what you want to. for example you could grant connect and exp_full_database to allow a full db export. Read up very carefully on privileges, and query the data dictionary to ensure you know exactly what level of access you are giving this account. Then just login as (say) exp autoadmin/ (other stuff). You will note that this does not use ops$.

--
Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd

Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<3357088B.1071_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>...