Re: Oracle multi-threading query

From: Brenda Muller <muller.brenda_at_primestar.tci.com>
Date: 1997/04/22

In article <861374397.1888_at_dejanews.com>,   ccoyipty_at_chevalier.net wrote:

> I would like to know whether an Oracle connection has multi-threading
> capability. In details, I have a main program that creates a connection
> object and connects to Oracle. The main program will then spawn a number
> of threads that issue independent SQL calls using the connection object
> created in the main program. Then each thread will check the returned SQL
> code and fetch the result. The SQL calls will be simultaneous and the
> execution time can be quite long. I would like to know if this is feasible
> or not.
>
> Can somebody kindly reply me.
>
> Thanks...

I think this will work if your Oracle server is running with the Multi-Threaded Server option (MTS). Alternatively, you could use a transaction monitor such as BEA's Tuxedo. If you're not using something like this, I believe you'll run into problems launching a bunch of SQL statements from one connection - they will probably be single-threaded and synchronous, and they might actually step on each other and crash.

Good luck,

brenda