running a plex server via cron

From: <ltost_at_systemautomation.com>
Date: 1997/04/21

I'm currently using triggers in combination with plex and Pro*C to send updates to a foreign database. What i'm doing is getting the actual SQL statement which fired the trigger (using v$sqlarea, v$session, and v$mystat) and calling my C function using the SQL statement as a parameter. The C function will do something then with that statement (send it off the the other db). What i've done is create a shell script which will startup and shutdown any single server or all servers listed in an 'ACTIVE' file. Each server has its own directory and plex binary. The shell script basically CD's into the directory and does a 'plex @.info server_name &'. My wraparound shell script works fine if i run it interactively... but when i cron it i get the following error:

ORACLE error detected (plex.c, 674):

Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-03113

 ...According to Oracle error messages, this means:

ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

Cause: An unexpected end-of-file was processed on the communication channel. The problem could not be handled by the SQL*Net, two task, software. This message could occur if the shadow two-task process associated with a SQL*Net connect has terminated abnormally, or if there is a physical failure of the interprocess communication vehicle, that is, the network or server machine went down.

Copyright (C) 1995, Oracle Corporation

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that my shell script and thus the plex process is not attached to a terminal? Would this be correct? Or even close? Either way, is there a way to do what i'm trying to do (just make sure my plex servers are up when they need to be)?

Thanks for any info.

PS: if anyone really wants it, i can send my shell script to you to look over. I didn't want to post it here since this post is already pretty large anyway.

ltost_at_systemautomation.com