Dynamic SQL bombs out on large result sets

From: Craig Doremus <cdoremus_at_narrate.com>
Date: 1997/04/21

Greetings!

I am working on an Intranet application with Oracle 7.3.2.2 and Webserver 2.1 on a Digital Alpha machine (Digital UNIX 3.2).

When I run a query through my Webserver app using dynamic SQL, it bombs out when a result set is large (generally about 300 rows). Our application queries a series of hospital record databases that run from 2 to 9 million rows. (The app works OK on small result sets.)

The bombing out on large result sets raises an Oracle error 6502 (PL/SQL: numeric or value error).

I think the bomb-out behavior has to do with the way disk or memory space is configured on my system. As I am not that well versed in Oracle database administration, could someone point me toward a solution?

TIA.
--Craig Received on Mon Apr 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT