Re: moving the database server & client

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com.no.spam.please>
Date: 1997/04/21

Wow! I guess I would be curious to hear what kinds of problems you ran into that "Oracle could have done a better job in making it simple". I'll be the first to say that I've experienced problems installing Oracle products, but it seems that recent versions have all been very easy to install.

Case in point...I previously installed Enterprise Server 7.3.2 and OEM on a Windows NT Server and it took me no more than an hour. I recently went to a client site, installed and configured Oracle7 7.3.3 and WebServer 2.1 in just a couple hours. Today, I installed 7.3.3 and ConText 2.0 on my laptop running NT 4.0 Workstation with no hitch whatsoever. And trust me, I am no Oracle guru by any means...

The "easy" way to solve your problem is to export all of the data, users, roles, grants, etc, using the Oracle Import and Export utilities (most likely it's imp73 and exp73 on NT). This is getting your _data_ over there.

As far as putting the Oracle software on the new machine, your safest bet is to do it through the installer. If you just copy the files over, you will be missing things like entries in the Windows registry, addition of services on the new machine, etc. Remember, you would have to go through this same exercise if you wanted to install MS Word 95 on a different machine....just copying the files over won't cut it.

Is Oracle a complex product? Yes, it's certainly not as self-contained as an MS Access (for example). But you look at what you get from this complexity that's relatively easy to use, and you can certainly begin to appreciate what you can do with this software.

On 19 Apr 1997 15:16:41 GMT, Zachary Agatstein <agatstei_at_pop.erols.com> wrote:

>I've just installed Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3.2 and a client (OEM) on
>Windows NT 4.0 Server. It was not easy, and required several calls to
>Oracle Support. In the future I will have to move this installation to
>another computer. Is there an easy way to do this? Do I have to use
>several runs of the Installer (from different directories), and then run
>SQL scripts to re-create users, privs, tables, and then populate them
>etc.? Can you just move the files across the network? Maybe I am naive,
>but am I alone in thinking that Oracle could have done a better job in
>making it simple?
>
>Thanks
>
>Zach Agatstein

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman          Enabling the Information Age through
Oracle Government                Network Computing!
Bethesda, MD                  http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com          http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Mon Apr 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT