Re: pinning packages

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/04/21

From: gwleung_at_pacbell.net
The question was basically, 'Do I need to compile before pinning'

In 7.1.3 and lower pinning a package into memory only fetches the specification into memory and not the body. Since the body is often 3 to 10 times larger than the spec you need to get the body into memory.

Instead of compiling you can save time by adding a small dummy routine to your packages. In the spec: procedure loadme; -- DBA Special Routine And in the body: procedure loadme is
begin
  null;
end;
end loadme;

Since I typed this on the fly please forgive typo related mistakes. You can now write a script to execute package_name.loadme. If the package is valid this will fetch it into memory quickly, and if the package is invalid due to object changes Oracle will compile it into memory for you.

I am pretty sure that this is also true in 7.1.6 as I kind of remember verifing this. I haven't verified our 7.2 system yet. We pin then load, but which you do first really does not matter as long as you do it before you let users or jobs onto the system.

Hope this help. Note - the memory size will be smaller from executing than from compiling so this method has another benefit besides speed.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Mon Apr 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT