Re: Possible to turn off file system cache?

From: Jeff Shervey <jeff.shervey_at_us.landisstaefa.com>
Date: 1997/04/20

DEC UNIX has a Unified Buffer Cache (UBC)...where it can throw all available memory at processes that are doing a good amount of I/O. Other UNIX's must have something like this. DEC's default for UBC maximum is 100% and the minimum is 0%. We have 1GB of ram and the nightly backup process running vdump can consume all of the memory (1GB). There are no other processes running on the server when the backup is running. I can watch "vmstat 2" during the backup and see the UBC drain all available memory.

Jeff S.

Dan Bikle <dbikle_at_rahul.net> wrote in article <5jcfcu$3bf_at_samba.rahul.net>...

> Hi There,
>
> I'm working on a Solaris 2.5.1 machine which appears to be
> memory constrained.
>
> When I run sar -r 5 5 I see this:
>
> texas% sar -r 5 5
>
> SunOS texas 5.5.1 Generic_103640-04 sun4u 04/19/97
>
> 22:42:39 freemem freeswap
> 22:42:44 2085 2896453
> 22:42:49 2110 2896128
> 22:42:54 2162 2908621
> 22:42:59 2154 2896875
> 22:43:04 2160 2902493

snip Received on Sun Apr 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT