Re: WebServer - TCP/IP connection ?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com.no.spam.please>
Date: 1997/04/19

Mark,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "type of TCP/IP connection". Are you referring to bandwidth, application protocol, etc.?

If you have a straight connection from your ISP to your machine that is running your WebServer, nothing is preventing you from hosting your database on this same machine. Since your clients will be accessing your home page from a browser, all you need to be concerned about from the client access is HTTP (which, of course, you probably *don't* have to be concerned about).

The WebServer (at least version 2.x) communicates with the database via an intermediate process, known as an OWA or Oracle Web Agent. But again, from the client's standpoint, they shouldn't know or care if they're accessing static HTML pages or dynamically generated ones...all they'll be using is a browser.

Make sense?

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:32:06 GMT, jock_at_curie.dialix.com.au (Mark Giackeri) wrote:

>If I want to setup a website that enables clients who hit my homepage
>to access my database and Browse and Search my database, then what
>type of TCP/IP connection or services would I need from my service
>provider ?

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman          Enabling the Information Age through
Oracle Government                Network Computing!
Bethesda, MD                  http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com          http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sat Apr 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT