How is the Oracle space allocation structured?

From: Mirwais Qader <mq_at_wohl.slh.wisc.edu>
Date: 1997/04/18

--------------1BD17F27742A

I am trying to clear up some confusions about the way Oracle structures its space i.e., Database, Tablespace, OS Data files, Segments, Extents, Blocks etc...

I am still not sure how a Data file differs from a Segment.

I am also confused by OSDBA, OSOPER, SYSDBA, SYSOPER etc...

See the attached Word Document for details (if you want).

Please respond via email.
Thank you for any advice!
-Mir.

--------------1BD17F27742A

<encoded_portion_removed>
cHRzAAAADU1pcndhaXMgUWFkZXINTWlyd2FpcyBRYWRlcgAAAAAAAAAAAAA=
--------------1BD17F27742A--