Re: Upgrade to 7.3 - Concerns

From: Jeff Masteller <jmast_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1997/04/18

Oracle made changes to it's cost based optimizer. It seems to think that full table scans are cheaper than index use. Our average reads per day jumped from 60 million to 150 million. This forced us to change from cost based as default to rule based. We then had to re-tune the queries that ran slowly back to cost