Re: Oracle and CD-ROM

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/18

In article <01bc4b5a$c683d680$0e65a8c0_at_obelix>, Frank Geisler <frank.geisler_at_metronet.de> writes
>Hello!
>
>I have the following problem: In one project I need to store data, included
>in an ORACLE database, on CD-ROM. Is there any way of exporting these data
>on CD-ROM so you can access it via ORACLE directly without having to import
>all this data again? Is there any way of creating a tablespace for this
>problem. If you can help me, I would be very glad if you send me an email.
>My adress is frank.geisler_at_metronet.de.

You can use read-only tablespaces. What you have to do is -

create a tablespace as normal
load in the data
alter tablespace <tblspace> read only
move the data files to cd-rom

If the cd-rom is not guaranteed to be available at all times you need to make sure the tablespace is offline for startup and only bring it online when required.

--
Jim Smith