Re: Knowledge Base Tool

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/17

Nathan Secrist wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I work for a company that has multiple projects and multiple
> DBA groups. In the past, all the groups have been independent of
> one another and most of the time, none of the groups knew what the
> other groups were doing. Up to this point there has been no
> information
> sharing between DBA groups.
>
> In an effort to standardize and share information, we would like to
> develop a way to allow all our DBAs to share information with each
> other.
> We would like to create an online knowledgebase that would give us
> the
> ability to 'search' through the database to see if another DBA has
> encountered the same problem.
>
> This would be an application similar to what tech support reps
> from Microsoft or Oracle use when you call up and have a particular
> question or error message. They usually say, "Hold on a second -
> Let
> me look that up in my database."
>
> Please reply back and let me know what commercial products are
> available,
> or maybe someone has developed something from scratch for use within
>
> their orgranization.
>
> We are interested in software to run on WIN/NT, WIN/95 and UNIX
> platforms.
> We would prefer simple and cheap to something feature-rich and
> expensive.
>
> We need to be able to enter a date, problem topic, description of
> the
> problem, and what we did to resolve the problem. We also need the
> capability to search on a keyword.
>
> In addition to knowledgebase software I would be interested to hear
> how some of you with larger DBA groups are able to share information
>
> and share ideas to more effectively provide database support to your
>
> respective organizations.
>
> Thanks
>

> Nathan

> | Nathan G. Secrist |

> | Evolving Systems, Inc. | Phone: (303) 802-1307 |
> | 9777 Mount Pyramid Court | Fax: (303) 802-1420 |
> | Englewood, CO 80112 | Email: nsecrist_at_evolving.com |

 The two projects I've done in the past for this have used Lotus Notes. They were both fairly easy to set-up and run. I think the cost of Notes has come down a lot in recent months also.

You might also want to consider setting something up around Oracle Web Server - I find it a nice way to distribute information from the database around our company.

Steve Phelan. Received on Thu Apr 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT