Re: simplifying database startup

From: Thomas Vanya <twvanya_at_eastman.com>
Date: 1997/04/17

Brian,
You didn't mention OS platform in your post so I am assuming a UNIX flavor.

One possibility is to create a shell script that gets the SIDs and Y/N startup flag from the /etc/oratab file. Next, loop through the SIDs for which you want to start instances by doing the following:

  1. Set ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME using the oraenv procedure
  2. Run line-mode Server Manager which will connect to an idle instance
  3. Connect as INTERNAL
  4. Issue appropriate startup command

The /etc/oratab file is what is read by dbstart upon system boot. All SIDs should be defined in this file along with appropriate ORACLE_HOME and a flage of Y or N indicating automatic startup.

Hope this helps!

--
Thomas W. Vanya
Oracle and OracleRdb Database Administrator

Brian Gastineau <bgastine_at_giveblood.org> wrote in article
<01bc4aac$7e9ed4e0$b90110ac_at_gastineau1.giveblood.org>...