Re: Moving database to another server

From: Charles Walker <cwalker_at_csc.com>
Date: 1997/04/17

Joshua Davis wrote:

> Steps:
> 1. Shutdown your database.
> 2. Execute this script to get a list of your files and tablespaces
>
> select * from sys.dba_data_files;
>
> This table holds the names of all of your files and tablespaces.
> 3. Use the list from the previous step and copy your files from one
> machine to the other, if you are using FTP don't forget to
> "Set binary."
> 4. After you finish copying startup your database on the destination
> machine by setting the ORACLE_SID to the correct value and
> doing your normal startup.
>
> Good Luck

Hi,
 There are a few things wrong with this. 1. After you shutdown your DB you will not be able to access sys.dba_data_files or anything else,

   so do the select first.

2. You will also need to copy your initialization files,control files,redo logs and

   archive logs(if in archivelog mode and you are archiving to disk)

3. If the destination path is different from the source path you will have to

   MOUNT the DB and rename the datafiles using the 'ALTER DATABASE' command.

If you need further assistance contact me or Oracle support for a technical paper on this subject.

Charles Walker
cwalker_at_csc.com Received on Thu Apr 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT