Re: Oracle 7.3 bugs

From: Doug Anderson <dathedba_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/04/17

Martin Smith <mfmsith_at_erols.com> wrote:
>We're using bitmaps extensively in a warehouse environment, on HPUX
>10.10. What are the bugs? ...

  <snip>

I have found at least 2 bugs/problems with bitmap indexes, though I've been able to workaround for the most part.

  1. BITMAP indexes will go into a 'DIRECT LOAD' state if you disable the primary key. I was rebuilding indexes and had already completed the bitmaps. Then when the script hit the primary key, all the bitmaps went south. All those had to be rebuilt AGAIN.
  2. Some BITMAP indexes will cause HUGE amounts of redo entries (and therefore archive-logs). We went from 300 Megabytes per hour in archive-logs to about 1.3 Gigabytes per hour when I changed 4 normal indexes to bitmaps. They seemed to be good candidates for bitmaps since they had less than 16,000 distinct keys and the table had more than 21,000,000 rows. But alas, I had to change them back to normal ones or go insane trying to backup archive-logs.

The platform that I'm running on is Digital Unix 3.2d and the database is 7.3.2.3. Any others find the same problems?