ops$root ...

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/04/16

Interesting one today.

Logged in as root onto Solaris 2.5.1, fired up sqlplus and connected as system.

SQL> create user ops$root identified externally; User created.
SQL> connect /
ERROR: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE. [**IAP - I was expecting no create session privilege **] SQL> connect system/<pass>
Connected.
SQL> drop user ops$root;
User dropped.
SQL> create user root identified by foo; User created.
SQL> connect root/foo
ERROR: ORA-01045: user ROOT lacks CREATE SESSION privilege; logon denied Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.

The question is why no ops$ account for root ?

Is this limited just to root, uid 0, gid 0 ?

Oracle WWS couldn't come up with anything other than to prevent shadow processes being run as root.

IAP

--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address is twod_at_value.net