Re: PCTFREE 1, Any advantage of using Pctfree 1

From: Jeffrey M Hunter <jhunter_at_llnl.gov>
Date: 1997/04/16

uday.v.lad_at_att.com wrote:

> Hi ! If you use PCTFREE = 1, SMON automatically coalsce your tablespace
> which otherwise be defragmented. Yes ! ORACLE also recommends using same.
>
> UDAY LAD
> AT&T
>
> SAM <u4immsm9_at_cpc25.usace.army.mil> wrote in article
> <3353AED6.244A_at_cpc25.usace.army.mil>...
> > Is there any advantage of setting PCTFREE 1 instead of
> > using PCTFREE 0. in oracle 7.1/7.2.3
> >
> > Is it recomended by Oracle Corp. ?

This is not the PCTFREE option but rather PCTINCREASE. If PCTINCREASE is set to a value other than 0, SMON will coalsce your tablespace. I do not like segments with PCTINCREASE > 0. What I do is set the tablespace PCTINCREASE to 1 and have every segment created in that tablespace
override the default PCTINCREASE of 1 with a PCTINCREASE of 0.

In addition, there is a very helpful table called: fet$ that gives the DBA
information about the free space that is avaibale in the database.

Hope this helps.