Re: Replication Manager hanging problem

From: Sukhjit S Bassi <sukhjit_at_interlog.com>
Date: 1997/04/16

scott s. wrote:

> Nasier wrote:
> >
> > We seem to be experiencing a problem when initiating replication from
> > Replication Manager (Oracle 7.3.2.3 for NT). A message appears on
> > screen "Accessing Database..." and it just seems to hang there.
> > Although we can detect some disk activity on both machines, this message
> > simply remains on screen (and no replication occurs). We are testing
> > replication with a single small table and cannot get it to work
> > consistently.
> >
> > Does anyone have any similar experiences. Also the documentation
> > supplied does not seem to adequately describe how to set up
> > replication. Are there any suggestions as to where suitable
> > documentation can be found?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Nasier.
>
> I have not experienced any problems doing replication on HP-UX 10.01,
> Oracle 7.3.2.3. Once I worked through the up-front set up, things went
> (surprisingly) well. I am using Multi-Master Asynchronous replication. I
> also tried Synchronous just for testing purposes, and that worked also.
>
> What exactly do you mean by "initiating replication"? Is the Master Group
> created, with valid objects and replication support? Do you have
> Enterprise Manager? Can any of the other tools (Schema Manager, Security
> Manager, etc) access the databases you are trying to replicate from/to?
>
> Have you:
>
> 1. Added job_queue_processes to initXXX.ora
> 2. Added job_queue_interval to initXXX.ora
> 3. Created administrator logins with appropriate
> grants/privileges
> 4. Created appropriate database links -and- tested them
> 5. Run necessary sql
> 6. etc...
>
> Also, don't try to do everything at once. Break the process down into
> small steps:
>
> 1. Create the Replication Group (apply, but don't start
> replication). Look in the queue to see if a Generate Master Object
> message is generated.
>
> 2. Add an object (again, apply, but don't start replication).
> Look in the queue to see if this request is generated.
>
> 3. Generate support (same. Then look in the Generated Objects
> folder and make sure that you see triggers, packages, bodies, etc.) Look
> in queue for Phase I and Phase II support generation.
>
> 4. Add a Destination.
>
> 5. Now Resume Replication. You should be able to see the admin
> queue shrink on the Definition Site, and replies to admin requests on the
> target database.
>
> As a matter of fact, I think you can just create a master group, add a
> destination, start replication, and see the Master Group show up on the
> other machine.
>
> In the Replication Manager online help there is a bit of documentation
> that I found to be useful; you may try looking there.
>
> I will try to send more tomorrow; I need to get some info from work (I am
> at home now, don't respond to this email address, it won't work).

> [...]
Nasier ,

What you are getting is not because of any problems with Replication manager but as a result of not setting the max number of entries to be retrieved. When it hangs saying accessing database ....its just stuck with too many entries...

You probably have a lot of objects registered as replicated.

Sukhjit
Sukhjit_at_interlog.com Received on Wed Apr 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT