Re: Delete a datafile without droping tablespace

From: Jeffrey M Hunter <jhunter_at_llnl.gov>
Date: 1997/04/16

Oracle Developer wrote:

> I need to delete a datafile from a tablespace but I can not drop the
> tablespace to do so. I do not have the time to do an export.
> The datafile has no data blocks being used.
>
> Can some please help.
>
> robert.hill_at_usld.com

I was in this same situation. I could not find ANY way to drop the datafile without first exporting the data, dropping the tablespace then creating it with that one less datafile.

I do know that in Oracle 7.3 and greater that there is a RESIZE option for altering the size of datafiles. Might try that if you are simply looking for the space.