Re: Random numbers

From: Tim Burns <teb_cms_at_xmission.com>
Date: 1997/04/16

Nadav Zin wrote:

  I need to generate random numbers in Oracle environment and could   not
  find a straight forward way to do it. Has anyone got a PL/SQL code   to
  share?

  Cheers,

  Please reply to: N.Zin_at_cs.ucl.ac.uk

 Dear Zin,

I have the code at work where i did a rough random number generator. Don't
go on the syntax of my code because i am new to pl/sql and don't know it

by heart. Basically what you do is declare a package like this:

create package random

    seed NUMBER := 375737
    inc NUMBER := 26791

   procedure rough( max_number in number ); end random

create package body random

  procedure rough( max_number in number )   is

       simple_number
  begin

       seed := seed + inc;
       simple_number := mod( seed, max_number );
 end rough;

end random;

note that this is a bad random number generator but it will be okay for simple testing. you may have to play with it. the idea is very simple and simply goes on the fact that the easiest way to simulate random number is to use the remainder with a seed that is incremented by a large amount. if this doesn't work and you want some exact code i will be happy to send it to you. drop me a line tomorrow when i am at work and i will forward the package i wrote for rough random numbers.

tim Received on Wed Apr 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT