Re: PCTFREE 1, Any advantage of using Pctfree 1

From: Dick Allie <dallie_at_ionet.net>
Date: 1997/04/15

uday.v.lad_at_att.com wrote:

> Hi ! If you use PCTFREE = 1, SMON automatically coalsce your tablespace
> which otherwise be defragmented. Yes ! ORACLE also recommends using same.
>
> UDAY LAD
> AT&T
>
> SAM <u4immsm9_at_cpc25.usace.army.mil> wrote in article
> <3353AED6.244A_at_cpc25.usace.army.mil>...
> > Is there any advantage of setting PCTFREE 1 instead of
> > using PCTFREE 0. in oracle 7.1/7.2.3
> >
> > Is it recomended by Oracle Corp. ?
> >hi.

This only applies to the default value of pctfree on the tablespace. There is overhead involved in defragmenting the free space in the tablespace. We will set up to use once in a while for volitile tablespaces (ones that release space by dropping tables. Then set it back to 0 to reduce daily overhead.

Dick Allie - dallie_at_ionet.net Received on Tue Apr 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT