encrypting passwords in pl/sql

From: <ltost_at_systemautomation.com>
Date: 1997/04/14

Here's the situation:

We need to store Oracle UserIDs in a second table with some other information. This table will provide the data necessary to authenticate our users (using passwords other than the ones in dba_users) before they do anything (access the database or any of our application servers). We would like to have a pl/sql procedure which would add/delete/check userID and password combinations in our table. Is there any crypt type function in pl/sql? Right now, I am looking at plex and will probably try to have my pl/sql call a c routine which will do the encryption. But i'd rather keep it all in pl/sql.

We need this additional table because we will have application servers as well as the database (therefore, they have to be authenticated w/o necessarily being connected to the database).

On the other hand, is it possible to have our authentication server call a pl/sql procedure which validates the user id and password against the oracle userid and password? I see that the password is encrypted in dba_users-- is this encryption algorithm available?

Thanks.

ltost_at_systemautomation.com
** The above views probably do not reflect those of my employer **