Re: Rollback in recovery.

From: Arnold Bogenschutz <ajbogens_at_prairie.lakes.com>
Date: 1997/04/14

Guilherme Mesquita Chaves wrote:

> I'd like to know if the rollback phase at recovery uses the rollback
> segments or the rollback stored at the log files, or even both. I'd like
> to know what happens at the rollback phase at recovery. I thank you in
> advance.

During recovery oracle is reading the log files and applying the changes just as when they occurred during the initial transaction. The updates are also entered into the rollback segments. When the application of the log files are done any uncommitted data is then rolled back using the data in the rollback segments. In Oracle 7.3 the database is available to all users during the rollback, earlier version the database does not come up until the rollback is complete. Received on Mon Apr 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT