Memory for client connections

From: Tyson Chihaya <tyson_at_cerberus.atlassoft.com>
Date: 1997/04/14

Hi,

We're trying to design a large-scale client-server system, and we're anticipating a large number of concurrent connections from our oracle client to our oracle server. The number of connections that we can make from a Sun Ultra with 192 MB of ram to our oracle server seems to be about 70.

After reaching this ceiling of 70 connections, we got the following error for all subsequent connections (on the client):

  ld.so.1:
/home/oracle/app/oracle/product/7.3.2/test_connections/hit1: fatal:
/home/oracle/app/oracle/product/7.3.2/lib/libclntsh.so.1.0:
  can't set protections on segment: errno=ss2

On the server side we get this:

  ORA-01019
  01019, 00000, "unable to allocate memory in the user side"
// *Cause: The user side memory allocator returned error.
// *Action: Increase the processes heap size or switch to the old set of calls.

  ORA-00020
  00020, 00000, "maximum number of processes (%s) exceeded"
// *Cause: All process state objects are in use
// *Action: Increase maximum processes - init.ora parameter "processes"

The machine runs out of memory. My question is: can anyone tell me how much memory each connection uses? 'top' says that each connection is about 2.5 MB, but I don't know how much of that is shared memory...

Also, has anyone else dealt with needing to service thousands of users with one oracle database? I think the final solution lies in having many users on each database connection...

thanks,
tyson Received on Mon Apr 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT