Re: Enterprise Manager, used it?

From: <tdrudy_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/04/14

Michael Ho wrote:

> Tim Witort wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone had any experience using Oracle's Enterprise Manager
> > to monitor their databases?
> >
> > If so, what are your impressions? My company is considering it,
> > but it costs $100 (okay, that's cheap) plus the "gotcha" cost
> > on the server of $50 per user. Our box is has a 60 user license
> > on it, so it's going to be a $3000 hit just for that one DB.
> > And we have 4 or 5 other ones too.
> >
> > So... is it worth it? If so why?
>
> I use it. I like it. I think it worth for $100+$50,
> if it really costs.
>
> But 60 user, what is going on ? Nobody have 60 DBA watching database
> inside the same company.

For us, it's only useful if you have a large company size and are using a distributed dbms. Yes, Oracle hits you for $50/user license but as the other gent said, that's for the performance pack. It allows you to monitor/control remote sites as if they were not remote; it's fast; it allows you to fix remote probs on the fly; and it's robust. Yes, you can do all those things by yourself without the OEM w/perf pack, but can you do em fast enough in a ddbms?

        My views!

                Tom Received on Mon Apr 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT