Re: Performance NT versus UNIX

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/14

Daniel A. Morgan wrote:

> > look at TPC Benchmark Results
> > http://www.tpc.org/bench.results.html
>
> Forget the benchmarks. Forget the cost of the hardware. These are
> only a
> small part of the decision making process. How about scalability?
> I'd
> like to see you hit an NT box with 16,000 users. And how about
> stability? I'd like to see the NT box that runs 7x24 for two years
> without a disaster.
>
> NT is still not stable enough for a serious production environment.
>
> Daniel A. Morgan

As regards "NT is still not stable enough for a serious production environment." - this is rubbish. Many sites the world over use NT with Oracle in a production environment. We have a production system of a few Gig in size which has been running for over a year without any major problems.

And no, I'm not NT's biggest fan - I *much* prefer UNIX. However, I'm still prepared to give NT a *fair* assessment. Yes, it's not as easily manageable or as scalable as UNIX, but don't take the rubbishing of NT too far, learn to be a little more realistic.

Steve Phelan. Received on Mon Apr 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT