Re: no rollback...

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/14

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:39:47 +0100, Steve Phelan
> <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Thomas Kyte wrote:

> [snip]
>

> > This very subject - disabling rollback and/or redo has been
 discussed
> >here before. As I put in my original reply to the original poster -
> >wouldn't recommnded him disabling either. From what was discussed
> >previously on this subject there IS and Oracle '_xxxx' underscore
 style
> >parameter than can disable redo logging database wide. However,
 it's not
> >Oracle recommnded or supported hence should not be used.
> >
> >Steve Phelan.
> >

> Warning: if you use the undocumented, unsupported, un-talked about
> setting you will lose your database very quickly.
>
> disableing redo (which this lets you do) will make it so that if you
>
> database is shutdown in any manner OTHER then "shutdown" or
> "shutdown
> immediate", it will never startup again. If you "shutdown abort" or
>
> lose power to the machine or the instance otherwise shutdowns, it
> will
> not be able to perform crash recovery, it will not start again.
>
> Thomas Kyte
> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Government
> Bethesda MD
>
> http://govt.us.oracle.com/ -- downloadable utilities

> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
> Corporation

 Thomas,

Try reading the posts a little more carefully...

I was the one who replied originally stating that disabling redo and/or rollback was *not* a good idea, and I'm perfectly aware of the implications of doing so (in the case of redo) as I pointed out on prior messages. I also pointed out that Oracle would not support such a system.

Steve Phelan. Received on Mon Apr 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT