Re: SQL*Plus: How to disable Unix shell?

From: Robert W. Swisshelm <swisshelm_at_lilly.com>
Date: 1997/04/11

Peter Luckock wrote:

> Help!
>
> Is there any secure way to prevent users from opening a command-line shell
> from within Unix-hosted SQL*Plus (as shipped with Oracle 7.2.2 for Unix
> System V release 4.0 running on SUN/Sparc).
>
> I'm a business user who needs to debug & maintain some monolithic 3rd-party
> PL/SQL code which is so big (145k) that it can't be loaded in the Windows-
> hosted version of SQL*Plus (error: "command buffer space exhausted").
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Peter

How about disabling the HOST command using the PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE table? That is its purpose. The use of that table is documented in the SQL*Plus reference manual.

	insert into system.product_user_profile values
	 ( 'SQL*Plus','%','HOST',null,null,'DISABLED',null,null);

--
Bob Swisshelm
Eli Lilly and Company