Re: ORACLE PASSWORD AGING

From: Jeremy Barnsley <jeremy.barnsley_at_syntegra.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/11

mfzanol_at_pacbell.com wrote:

> Anyone know how to implement ORACLE password
> aging? Mike Z.It is possible to write your own. However, it can only be fully
implemented if you use a logon screen using Forms and don't allow users access to other products such as SQL*Plus or Browser.

It works as follows :-

  1. Write a Form which performs the login to the application (the user types in username password etc). This is tricky since the on-login trigger must not operate first time into the form, but operate whenever an explicit 'logon' is called.
  2. When the form has logged on, get it to check if the user's password has expired. The dates are maintained in a non-system table holding username and expiry_date. If expired, force the user to change the password there and then. A Forms_ddl can be used to do the 'alter user ...'. Update the expiry date if the password was successfully changed.

If you want password expiry to operate for products other than through a Forms logon screen, then you have to look at other 3rd party suppliers.

If you want to exclude access to products other than Forms , unless they only have access to a PC with Forms runtime, then you have a large problem. Contact me for how to do it - if necessary, but it is VERY complicated.

Jez. Received on Fri Apr 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT