Re: Oracle 7.3 bugs

From: Tim Hung <timhung_at_vcn.bc.ca>
Date: 1997/04/11

Michael Ho (infoage_at_hk.super.net) wrote:
: Brad Skiles wrote:
: >
: > I accidentally marked the thread concerning 7.3 bugs as "read", but I
: > wanted to post our experiences running 7.3.2.3 on HP-UX 10.20. We've
: > encountered approximately 5 bugs since the upgrade. All of them occured
: > after we tried to implement bitmap indexes. We've received 4 patches
: > and 1, "Oh, that'll be fixed in 7.3.4."
: >
: > To stop the bugs from appearing, we've done 2 things: 1) stopped using
: > bitmap indexes and 2) set HASH_JOIN_ENABLED = FALSE in the init.ora
: > file. The only other workaround suggested by Oracle, which *may* have
: > enabled us to continue using bitmaps, was to *not* use CBO. Not an
: > option here.
: >
: > We're anxious for 7.3.4 (or later) to show up, because we would like to
: > make use of bitmaps. The storage savings is significant.
:
: That was a normal experience, for every version of Oracle. Even 7.3.4,
: you
: should expect something new happens.
:
: However, with all the patches applied, I think it is okey with bitmapped
: Since my environment is exactly same as yours. HP-UX 10.20, 7.3.2.3,
: use
: bitmapped-indexes, 4 to 5 patches, seems okey.
:
: By the way, you sure bitmapped index saves storage significantly ?
: 'Cause for
: our case it is opposite.

I have a feeling that is Oracle's standard reply to bugs...just upgrade to the next version. Unfortunately, the newest version is either not released yet or the next version comes with different sets of bugs... Received on Fri Apr 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT