Re: www.microsoft.com cant handle the load ?

From: Igor N Kovalenko <infoh_at_mail.wplus.net>
Date: 1997/04/10

As I remember, the PC Magazine did a comparision of most webservers, running on NT vs. Solaris (inlcuding Netscape, IIS, Apache, etc).

The result was quite impressive and should explain why this thread exists.

*All* servers performed approx twice better on NT than on Solaris, but .... only while there was less than 6 clients. Just after 6 clients *all* servers was saturated and consistently dropped down their performance with each new client endlessly. PC Magazine stopped testing after 22 clients.

On the other hand, *all* servers consistently increased their performance under Solaris with each new client, until 44 clients, where the test was stopped for them. There was no clear sign of saturation ever.

Clients were some special "very active" browser-simulators. So, I think this is not IIS, who made the bottleneck, but this is NT (Never Try). Good system for 5-node networks.

Igor N Kovalenko

Sang K. Choe <sangria_at_inlink.com> wrote in article <3350494b.97788625_at_siesta>...