Re: Quota Question

From: g.r.s. deisz <g.r.s.deisz_at_ptt-telecom.unisource.nl>
Date: 1997/04/10

In article <334BAE39.3168_at_alliedsignal.com>,

   John Cutright <john.cutright_at_alliedsignal.com> wrote:
>I guess I did not make myself clear in my message (I do that quite
>often).
>
>I did not want to change the user's quota. I truncated the tables
>belonging to the
>user and it did not effect the bytes/blocks that are being charged
>against the user.
>What I was looking for is a way to tell Oracle to recalculate the amount
>of space that
>the user is using.

The purpose of the truncate command is : "To remove all rows from a table or cluster and reset the STORAGE parameters to the values when the table or cluster was created."

This means, that after truncating the table, it will have the same size it had when it was originally created. In case the table has extended, the truncate command will free the space occupied by the extents added to it.

In 7.3 you can issue an "alter table...deallocate unused", to free all unused space in the table, but not beyond the high water mark.

Best way to do your job is to re-create the table using your preferred storage parameters. (Can't be too hard, since you have no records in it after truncating the table.)

Good luck!

Stefan.

Name      :G.R.S. Deisz
Phone     :+31-50-5855954
E mail    :G.R.S.Deisz_at_PTT-Telecom.Unisource.NL
DISCLAIMER:This statement is not an official statement from, nor
           does it represent an official position of, PTT Telecom BV.