Re: dbshut and dbstart

From: Byron Pearce <bpearce_at_csac.com>
Date: 1997/04/10

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Apr 1997 15:55:54 -0700, Drexel Pitts
> <pittsd_at_dps.robins.af.mil> wrote:
>
> >Is 7.3.2 supposed to come with a new dbstart and dbshut?
> >The old versions use sqldba which is gone from 7.3.
> >
> >TIA
>
> Yea, they sort of messed this up. On most versions, they fixed it, on
> others they fixed it but then it reverted back.
>
> The easiest, quick workaround is to create a symbolic link sqldba
> pointing to svrmgrl, for example:
>
> $ ln -s svrmgrl sqldba
>
> That'll also save you lots of time when you type sqldba instead of
> svrmgrl all the time anyway.......
>
> Support will also send you a fixed dbstart/dbshut if you want.
>
> Thomas Kyte
> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Government
> Bethesda MD
>
> http://govt.us.oracle.com/ -- downloadable utilities

> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation

Actually, creating a symbolic link from svrmgrl to sqldba does not fix the problem, but it's a common misconception. This is due to the fact that the banners change between SQL*DBA and Server*Manager. This, in turn, causes the various parsing scripts that determine your database version to not function properly.

The simplest solution is to either (a) contact Oracle for the newer versions as suggested or (b) fix the scripts to work properly. If you run into trouble getting the modified scripts, I will be happy to pass along the ones that we are using.

Byron Pearce				mailto:bpearce_at_csac.com
Systems Consultant			http://www.csac.com
Computer Systems Authority (CSA)	Dallas, Texas

"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."