Re: Oracle for Linux

From: Ian Parkin <twod_at_roxy.sfo.com>
Date: 1997/04/10

Tim Hung (timhung_at_vcn.bc.ca) wrote:
: Does anyone know how to ported SCO Oracle over to LINUX ???

:                   thanks..tim

I've got a few emails asking the same thing as the above. I did post a followup from my work enmail, but it doesn't seem to have made it out to the newsgroup :(

Here's a response that I have just sent out to an email request

--

> Sorry to bother you, does it take much to get oracle for sco up and
> running on Linux? And, have you tried the web stuff? Thanks! If you
> know of any resources on the web for doing this, I'd really appriciate
> you pointing me the right direction.
I posted my thoughts on this as a followup later in this thread and included the cookbook that I used. I'm a bit dubious as to whether that post got out in the net as it has not shown up on my home newsfeed - I'll include it at the end of this email. I've had a number of requests for more info, so I suspect that the post didn't make it out, so I'll post the cookbook to the newsgroup as well. I used PERL scripts to emulate the SCO executables that are otherwise required - SCO has since made their OS freely available for non-commercial purposes, so it may be better to get them. The install with the PERL scripts was pretty painful and was fraught with failures, that if you choose to ignore and just retry the operation will eventually get you to a point where you can use the RDBMS via Sql*Plus and SQLDBA/svrmgrl. If you require any extras over and above the minimal install described above you will require the SCO executables as you will have to do some recompilation - maybe not for the web stuff, I didn't try that install - certainly for any Pro*C/C++/OCI/Perl5 DBD/Python Oramod stuff you will. All in all if you are doing anything other than for fun, I would suggest that you get the SCO executables (maybe even have a SCO machine that you can use to create static binaries) or perhaps switch OS altogether - I got Solaris x86 for $200 and the install is as would be expected for a native port, plus you can get support from Oracle - note I'm not dissing Linux in any way here, I still run it on my laptop, but for my database needs I just had to get a native port. Good Luck IAP -- The cookbook: