Re: Designing an Oracle site from scratch !

From: Robert Miller <rwmiller_at_gte.net>
Date: 1997/04/09

Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> I am helping a business re-design their entire database.
> The original one suffered from poor design that later
> became apparent and severe. I am hoping to not repeat
> history. I am wondering if there are any sample designs
> that I could look at. Any good books maybe ?
>
> I have noticed that most business have similar needs, they
> have a product to sell (products table), have cusotmers
> (customers table), have orders from these customers (orders
> table), products that are ordered (ordered_products table)...
> employee table... So someone must have outlined a dbms
> strategy, that most business can adapt with little or no
> modification. No ?
>
> I have seen some very basic implementations with details of
> these tables, but it would certainly be more interesting to
> see a more complexed design that covers more areas and have
> more details. If there really is nothing then I would have
> to publish my design on a web page to give newcomers a
> starting poin :)
>
> Atif Khan
> aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

Atif, You might consider walking away. You may not be helping your customer. You did not mention if you have any experience in Data Modeling and the relational database model. I am suprised that no one has mentioned the foundation work done by Codd and Date. If you don't understand the relational model and Rules of Normalization, it is probable that the customer will not end up with a stable database design; "generally" acknowledged as third normal form at a minimum. Received on Wed Apr 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT