Re: no rollback...

From: Tim Witort <trw_at_medicalert.org>
Date: 1997/04/09

Andrew Knight wrote:

> In article <334A6A79.40B1910A_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>, Steve Phelan
> <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk> writes
> >Todd Marshall wrote:
> >
> >> My application is taking input from the web, so I don't really need
> >> rollback enabled. I know I can specify a transaction as 'read
> >> only', but
> >> how do I disable rollback for updates, inserts, and deletes?

> > Er, if you are doing any form of updating you DO need rollback,
> >regardless of where you are taking your data from. Why does the WEB make
> >you think different? AFAIK, you cannot disable the use of rollback
> >within Oracle (and even if you can, I wouldn't recommend it. Ditto for
> >'redo', just in case that was what you meant and not 'rollback').

> AFAIK Oracle will use rollback segments to guarantee read consistency
> even if your query doesn't involve updates. It is not something you can
> disable.

Andrew is right here. Rollback segments are required to run an Oracle instance. You may as well ask, "I'd like to set up my car to drive with no wheels." If you are ever going to alter anything in the database (i.e. *ever* do an insert, update, or delete), then the rollbacks will be used. So, unless you are just going to issue the CREATE DATABASE command and do nothing else with the database (like *store data* in it or even startup the instance), you will need to define rollback segments.

Hey, fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly.